This week Mike has begun his 13th of 13 clinical rotations that make up his intern year of residency. The final month is Radiology, which the boys affectionately call "Radi-oliday." It was decided by the folks on that rotation that his last day will be June 21st, although we will stay here until July 1, which is when he can out-process. The movers will be here June 22 to pack and load us, supposedly over the course of the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th. I'm pretty sure it will only take about half that time, though.
We now officially own our house, which is sitting there waiting for us patiently in San Antonio. For those who like to keep an up-to-date address book, our new address is 15838 Manes Grove, San Antonio, TX 78247. The name of the street makes me think of Sherlock Holmes, and I love it! :-) I thought it would be killing me to have it there for a month while we are here, but it has been a week now and I find I actually don't think about it very much! Good thing.
Part of the reason I haven't thought much about our house is that I have found a new preoccupation. It's kind of been my own little secret, but I'm kind of excited about it so I think I'll finally share! I have been feeling kind of bored and purposeless lately (Mike had been working 16 hour days, the heat made me sluggish, we are leaving so soon, etc), and have been spending a lot of my spare time (and my time that isn't supposed to be spare) in reading novels. This has inspired a latent urge in me to write, for myself. So I have been working on writing a little story of my own! Who knows if I will ever fully finish it, or if it is even worth reading... but it is a story that probably fits best in the young adult genre. It has been a fun thing to do, and I think I'm not half bad... haha, but who knows. I'd spent the last few weeks often lost in thought trying to brain storm ideas for a plot and characters, and finally struck on something I think is kind of fun just two days ago. Since then I have banged out about 6000 words of it (it's about 15 pages, single spaced so far). The thing that gave me courage to start writing to begin with was the fact that I was voted "Most likely to be a famous author" in high school. ;-) Not that I imagine anything will come of this, but it has been a fun diversion. Maybe I'll share some of what I have with you, my faithful (and probably extinct) readership. Then you all can tell me if I should keep it up once I have more of a life in San Antonio!
And on the topic of books, the author who wrote the White Coat series, which featured Mike and some of his fellow med students, has signed a book deal to turn her articles into a book. Pretty cool, huh? We're excited for her, and it is pretty exciting that there will be a book about Mike (sort of!). I better start his wikipedia page, now!
Enough on that topic, now I have a smattering of pictures!
Other things I will miss are pictured below: At least I get to take half of them with me, though! These are our very good El Paso friends, and all of us are leaving within weeks of each other. The two lovely ladies on the left will be moving to San Antonio, too. Their husbands and Mike are all Anesthesia residents. The other two are headed back to Georgia, from whence they came where their husbands will do Family Practice. I will dearly miss the Hunts and Shutes, who have been family to us while we've lived here.
Below we have some silly girls dancing to "Cotton Eyed Joe" as performed by hamsters.
Robby is seen here, practicing hitting on older ladies by the pool-side.

3 comments:
You have been busy. I wish you the best of luck with your book. And when you get it published, I expected a signed first edition. I am excited that you are going to San Antonio. I love that part of Texas.
Hooray! You posted! I like the cloud pictures (but you could have put the grandchildren first).
Robby may be more interested in the juice box , than other juicie stuff!
Nice to see a new post. I do like the clouds!!!
Post a Comment